Friday, August 15, 2008

Friday's Favorites #2

This week for Friday's Favorites I have picked a magazine. In case you are new to Friday's Favorites, you can read about it here .

There is one magazine I look forward to receiving in the mail more than anything else.

More than a Boden catalog,
More than an Anthropologie catalog,
More than a J. Crew catalog and even more than Dwell magazine, which is saying a lot because I really do love the above mentioned items. However, none of them compare to the joy I feel when I look in my mailbox and see the newest edition of Real Simple magazine.

This magazine if full of helpful hints, product reviews (think best black pants or best moisturizers), and great writing. I usually read it cover to cover in one sitting.

This month's August edition is no exception.

For example, one of this month's articles features a month's worth of meals that can be ready in 20 minutes.(pg. 152) Did you catch that? Twenty minutes. What's not to love about that?

There's another interesting article full of organizing tips for each room of your house.(pg. 168) Good reading, especially if you are a mother of small children.

If you have not done your back to school supply shopping yet, you will want to check out the article on page 122 containing ways to save money when you do buy back to school supplies.

Finally, you can go online to http://www.realsimple.com/ for different stories, recipes, blogs and more. I especially like the adventures in chaos blog.

How about you? Do you have any favorite magazines you can not wait to read? What about a great summer recipe that can be ready in a flash? Please share! I can't wait to read your comments.

8 comments:

Emmy said...

Here's a shocker - my face lights up when my latest Taste of Home graces the mailbox, and it's also a happy-day when we get a new Penzeys Spice catalog. All the other catalogs tend to hit the trash as soon as they walk in the door (less temptation).

Love your Friday Favorites series, would you mind if I adopted it?

Tales From the Eurovan said...

Hi Emily! You're right about throwing magazines away quickly. The longer they sit around the more I tend to convince myself I really do need ___________. I don't mind at all if you do the Friday Favorites. Take it away! It's fun to do. Take care, Julie

Kristin said...

Ah Julie - so you are getting Real Simple again? Ever since you gave it over to me years ago, I haven't stopped getting it! It is a fun magazine! I also like Parenting and Family Fun....I'm a geeky parent.

D... said...

I used to be a magazine junkie, but I'm not anymore. The one I really loved was my daughter's American Girl magazine. That was a fun one & great for her. Sadly, she has outgrown it now. Dang kids. Why do they have to grow up?

I'm all about quick, easy meals. My husband works nights so it's up to me to feed the kids, take them places, pick them up, ride them about things they need to do, etc... So I don't have lots of time to spend in the kitchen. Nor much desire. ;) I'll have to check it out.

Angie said...

Ok, I'm getting that magazine now. It always calls my name when I see it on the shelf.

Tales From the Eurovan said...

Hey All! Thanks for the comments! Kristin, I think of you with my Real Simple. How funny! D, my husband usually works 2-4 overnights a month (his schedule is always changing) and on the nights he's gone we usually eat something quick!

UPDATE: I went to our HEB grocery yesterday and I saw a REAL SIMPLE FAMILY issue! I picked it up and bought it. It's great. It contains articles with kid recipes, parenting websites and a bunch of other stuff. Check it out! Take care, Julie

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

My favorite magazine I get is Coastal Living - I love all the decorating ideas, and there's usually some good recipes in there, too.

Elizabeth said...

For the first time in 9 years, I didn't renew my Real Simple subscription. I am missing it so much. It's just not the same skimming through it in the check out line. Like you, I enjoy reading through it in one sitting, preferably with a Starbucks coffee in my hand.